Back to The Plexus Home Page...
The Ecology Plexus
A bit of wildlife science ...
Modeling species, habitats, and ecological functions:
- Modeling species-environment relations ... modeling and assessing wildlife-habitat relationships.
- Some papers on species-environment relations
- Key ecological functions of organisms ... classification, databases, publications, and presentations.
- Bayesian network models in ecology
- Structured Decision Making, Expert Systems, Expert Paneling, & Expert Elicitation in Ecology
Birds and more birds:
- Vocalizations of birds in Douglas-fir forests of northwestern California ... extensive descriptions of obscure and undescribed bird calls (often updated)
- Sounds of Vaux's swifts ... what's in your chimney?
- The Owls Plexus ... myths, photos, sounds, science, more ...
- Questionnaire on Owl Survey Techniques ... help build a global standard.
A snag in the system? Visit:
- The DecAID Advisor ... for forest managers ... the decayed wood advisor for managing snags, partially dead trees, and down wood for biodiversity in forests of Washington and Oregon.
- About DecAID Advisor (625 KB PDF)
Marcot, B. G., and J. L. Ohmann. 2006. If a tree falls in the woods, who will measure it? DecAID decayed wood advisor. Science Findings (USDA Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station, Jonathan Thompson, Science Writer) 83(May):1-5.
Readings and writings on wildlife ecology & management:
- Guidelines for biodiversity management in tropical forests of the world. A reprint of:
- Marcot, B. G., R. E. Gullison, and J. R. Barborak. 2001. Protecting habitat elements and natural areas in the managed forest matrix. Pp. 523-558 in: R. A. Fimbel, A. Grajal, and J. G. Robinson, eds. The cutting edge: conserving wildlife in logged tropical forests. Columbia Univ. Press, N.Y. (491KB PDF).
- Extracts and abstracts from the Interior Columbia Basin Ecosystem Management Project
- Wildlife-Habitat Relationships ... third edition
- Bibliography of publications & reports by Bruce Marcot ... the full, boring list
- Bibliography of talks & presentations by Bruce Marcot ... another full, boring list
... some wildlife & eco-culture ...
Ecology Picture of the Week -- EPOW ... Every week view an exciting new photo and story about our amazing planet! ... With links to Google Earth
(Mirror site in Portuguese, maintained in Brazil by Ana Lúcia M. Tourinho, M.Sc., Museu Nacional, Universidade do Brasil/UFRJ, Lab. Aracnologia - Deptº Invertebrados.)
How many recycled newspapers does it take to save a tree? Weed it and reap.
(Mirror site on USDA Forest Service web page)
Owls in lore and culture. [This is the early version of this essay later published as a book chapter ... but with my updated owl myth stories from India, Africa, and North America.]
What is the appropriate role of modeling in resource management agencies? Here is one person's rather wry, if not sardonic, answer (maybe a little "ham on wry").
A Brief Glossary of Ecological Terms. Not your standard scientific dictionary.
... and some field adventures.
India -- images, stories, publications
Congo -- images, stories, publications
Alaska -- images, stories, publications
Human and Ecological Communities of Inner Mongolia, China: A System in Stress ... or, What I Saw When I Went To Inner Mongolia.
Islands of Sub-Antarctica: What I Saw When I Went To The Chathams (a New Zealand adventure).
Does a hairy non-human anthropoid roam the dark woods of the Pacific Northwest? Here is one wildlife biologist's interpretation of the evidence...
...including a weird side trip to remote northeast India to explore for the Mande Barung...
A sustainable plan for conserving forest biodiversity in Far East Russia and Northeast China.
Habitat corridors for Siberian tigers (569KB PDF) ... and status of Siberian tiger and Far East leopard populations (21KB PDF).
Back to The Plexus Home Page...